[Virtualacorn-list] USB Flash drive recognition

Tricia Garner tricia at orchid-squad.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 17:22:57 BST 2008

On 10 Sep, in article <389a5bdc4f.tim at south-frm.demon.co.uk>,
  Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:
> I write to criticise an idiot who should have known better.

> In message of 9 Sep, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:

> > In message of 9 Sep, Tricia Garner <tricia at orchid-squad.org.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have a 2Gb USB Flash Drive and am hoping to use it to
> > > transfer files from the Iyonix to VA but haven't been able to
> > > get VA to recognise it yet.
> > >
> > > Is it possible and if so what is the necessary configuration?
> > > I'm using VRPC Adjust SA for Mac on an iMac Leopard 10.5.4. A
> > > very kind contributor to the forum has tried to help but I have
> > > had no luck following his suggestions so far.
> >
> > I can't do it here on my Mac.  If it is possible it has to be
> > through using the Mount facility which you find in the
> > Preferences of VirtualRPC on the top Apple menubar.  But so far I
> > cannot work out how enter the location of the extra disc.
> >
> > Perhaps what is needed with the Mount facility is an option to
> > browse the Mac machine.

> But there is a browse feature, you idiot.  Use it!

> The outline procedure is:

>   1. Put the stick in to a USB port on your Mac
>
>   2. Check that it appears on a 'Finder' display.  If it doesn't, I
>   have no advice.
>
>   3. Click on the VARPC window, to get VirtualRPC on the top bar.
>
>   4. Click on 'VirtualRPC' on the bar and select Preferences.
>
>   5. In Preferences, select the HostFStab.
>
>   6. In the HostFS window, click inside the Mount field and give
>   this a name. This will take up space on your VARPC icon bar so
>   keep it short; Stik will do.
>
>   7. In the HostFS window, click inside the Path field, merely to
>   select it.  On my machine the border turns blue.  Go to the right
>   of this Path field to a little field with three dots on it.
>   Click on these three dots and a Finder window will open.  Browse
>   for the USB stick and select it.  The stick's location will go
>   into a Mount field above. Possibly click on Show File Extensions.
>    Click OK.
>
>   8. You may have to ReBoot VARPC but the 'Stik' disc icon should
>   appear on your RISC OS icon bar.  Well, it did on mine.

Well, I'll be damned - it works! Essentially what I was told on the
forum but your instructions were easier to follow - the 'Browse' bit
was the clincher... Many thanks.

> Be warned that some files may not transfer well; I don't know.  But
> I have found that Mounting Mac directories is not foolproof and
> that FTPc does a better job,  And ShareFS a very good job indeed,
> though it won't work between Mac and VARPC.

> > Having said all that, I used ShareFS to transfer very easily from
> > Iyonix to VA.  All you need is to have both machines on the one
> > network.

> Still true.

I do use ShareFS and/or FTPc to transfer larger files but I really
wanted a quick way to backup my bank account files separately from
(and in addition to) the main backup.

Thanks again,

--

Tricia

A day without sunshine is like... night.