[Virtualacorn-list] NetSurf on VRPC for Mac

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 23:47:58 BST 2008

Tricia Garner <tricia at orchid-squad.org.uk> wrote:

> Not quite sure whether this is a question for this list or for the
> NetSurf one, but since it doesn't happen on the Iyonix I'm trying
> here first...

> When I view my web pages in NetSurf on the 'HardDisc' the Style
> Sheet information is not acted upon e.g. headings and links etc. are
> not displayed in the colours and styles specified but if I view them
> on the host server they are displayed correctly. This happens with
> all versions of NetSurf. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

It might be neither! I suspect this is the same problem I had,
thinking NetSurf couldn't load "local" stylesheets until John-Mark
Bell (IIRC) pointed out the mistake I was making.

It's probably caused by the way you link to your stylesheets - and the
fact that the path to the file on one system is different to the path
to the file on the other system.

For example, in my site, I link to the stylesheets thusly:

 /skin/stylesheet.css

- 'skin' being a folder at the toplevel of the site, so that link
works /wherever/ in the site any given page is. When viewed locally,
however, the site is a few levels down from the root directory - so
that link, locally, is broken so the stylesheet isn't loaded. For it
to work, I'd have to create a directory called 'skin' in my root
directory and copy the stylesheet there.

To be sure I'm guessing correctly, though, it would be useful if you
posted the link you use to your stylesheet, and the path on each
system to one of your web pages (ie the contents of the URL bars - one
working, one not).

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software   -   www.softrock.co.uk   -
www.vinceh.co.uk