[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC speed

Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Sep 8 00:21:16 BST 2008

Ken Page <ken at kenpage.plus.com> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> My VRPC SA runs on a Microgital Alpha, no problem until recently when
> VRPC has slowed to an absolute crawl.  It takes 10 minutes to boot into
> RISC OS and then applications load very slowly. Oddly if I quit VRPC and
> then restart it, it boots up quickly and any applications I used earlier
> are up to normal speed, anything different is very slow. Don't know if
> it has any bearing but I have recently upgraded to Select 4i4 and on the
> Windows side to AVG free V8. Can anyone help please?

I'd doubt Select would be relevant if booting into RO is very slow, because
at the earliest stages, Select presumably isn't actually fully loaded.
Though... if Select offers you the possibility of reverting temporarily to a
prior level of Select it'd be interesting to try that, keeping AVG etc at
the new level.

If you turn off AVG, (you might want to make sure you're not online to the
internet when trying this), does the problem go away?

I wonder if AVG is intercepting every 'open' of every file that VRPC is
trying to read, and slowing things down?  (I know nothing much about AVG,
this might be a daft suggestion.)

An absolute crawl possibly also implies that something (AVG or a virus) is
trying to check something on a remote server every time you do something.
You might have a DNS timeout occuring each time (ie your internet connection
trying and failing to talk to some other machine).  Quite why it'd speed up
subsequently I'm not sure.

Do you use either the Windows firewall or something like Zone Alarm, or a
firewall in a separate router?  Are they logging anything odd?

Is there anything in the windows event logs?