[Virtualacorn-list] Old problems with VARPC on a Mac

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Sun Sep 7 18:13:03 BST 2008

I have been using VARPC on a new Mac for about two weeks now, probably
leading to the virtual retirement of my Iyonix.  We shall see on the
latter score.  But there have been one or two problems and any views on
any of them wold be much appreciated:

  1. I cannot lock any files.  Is this a Mac feature or is it a VARPC
     one?

  2. I run VARPC in a window, primarily so that I can have other
     applications going on the other screen (a bonus from the Iyonix
     days and from the excellent Geminus application).  But this
     inhibits (a) the use of Function keys and (b) the icon bar coming to
     the top when you move the mouse to the bottom of the display.
     Anyone else seen these and know of any way round?

  3. Occasionally while doing posts on Messenger using StrongEd, text
     entry stops and while the mouse works, I cannot recover text
     entering by restarting Messenger and/or StrongEd.  The only answer
     is to completely reboot VARPC.   I am contemplating trying
     Messenger's internal editor again. Any other suggestions?

  4. I can exchange files easily between RISC OS and Mac using FTPc.  I
     can also do it by using Mount from VARPC's Preferences facility.
     But the latter leads to this error:

       "Internal error: abort on data transfer at &0391E544"

     and I lose all RISC OS filer access and have to reboot. Returning
     after the reboot I tried the !where program and got:

        "No writable memory at this address".

     I think the problem is associated with directories that have more
     than some magic number of files, at any rate well above 77.  Any
     suggestions?  FTPc will open the same directories with no trouble.

  5. Early on I had a problem with Hermes which froze VRPC but a change
     to POPstar has solved that one.  Alan Wrigley was reasonably
     baffled and doubted it was a Hermes problem.

I'm sure I can find a few more.  But there are no show-stoppers as yet
and currently I hope to stick with VARPC on the Mac.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/