[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 22:54:50 GMT 2008

In message <c26.48c3e924.363996b1 at aol.com>
          ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:

> vince at softrock.co.uk writes:

>>The following is from Colin Wood, who is having problems posting to the  list
>>(a problem which I'm unable to deal with at the moment due to  incredible
>>stupidity on my part).

>>----8<----
>>Having  had the Risc OS 6 disc since the Wakefield Show, I decided to instal
>>it  tonight [13th Oct] on my VRPC-Adjust. Backed lots up, including  !Boot,
>>then started.

>>Started !RO6Instal (installer version  1.42; 22 April 2006; r19612) - early
>>on got the error message - The  installer cannot backup your !Boot sequence.
>>Please ensure thet the !Boot  sequence is not locked or on a write-protected
>>area. Access  violation.

Now Aaron this is exactly the problem I had and was discussing with
you last week! Now resolved.

>>Installation then stops - all installation icons  disappear.

>>My access details for !Boot on HardDisc4 -
>>none of  the radio icons have anything in them (Recurse is ticked).

> Depending on where the !Boot sequence is (HostFS/ADFS) the answer
> might be different.

> Assuming the !Boot is on a HostFS mount then it might be worth  quitting
> VRPC then from Windows navigating to the VRPC install folder:

> C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx

> Then right clicking on the "HardDisc4" folder and going to  Properties.
>>From the General Tab uncheck the "ReadOnly" option and click on
> Apply. Make sure the change is applied to all files and subfolders.

That did not work for me, what did work was the access permissions for
the user account (active directory rights).

I found that for some reason my user (I am supposedly the only user
account on this PC) was not giving me full permissions on certain
folders, on the C drive, once I modified those rights it all worked.

--
Chris Hughes