[Virtualacorn-list] ShareFS producing triplicate unusable files on VRPC

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 11:00:01 BST 2008

In a message dated 22/10/2008 07:01:34 GMT Daylight Time,  dave at triffid.co.uk
writes:

>That's our current view of the problem. The new HostFS caches  various
>> file information and updates the file after it's been  written. However  I
>> suspect that in the case of ShareFS  transfers the updating is  actually
>> happening before the file  has been written.
>>
>> Anyway we will know for sure  fairly shortly.
>>
>> Aaron

>Bugger,  bugger...!
>I'd forgotten about that ...king problem and went ahead and  did my usual
>auto backup between this SARPC and VRPV on my  Laptop.
>End result many directories full of crap, which now have to be  manually
>deleted.
>In fact this is so big a disaster, I'm having to  delete whole directories
>full of files and transfer them again on a Pen  drive.

>Are you any closer to solving this disaster?

Yes. We are testing a solution at the moment. It's not quite as
trivial as it looked :-( It's the new code for preserving datestamps
that's causing the problem. I am hoping that we will have something
that can go out to a limited number of users for further testing  fairly
soon.

In the meantime I can only apologise for the problem.

Aaron (VirtualAcorn)