[Virtualacorn-list] An Iyonix Replacement?

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Fri Oct 17 12:18:41 BST 2008

In message of 17 Oct, "David J. Ruck" <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:

> John M Ward <john at acornusers.org> wrote:
> > The only thing that occurs to me is that earlier versions of VA-RPC
> > needed an add-on (downloadable from the support website) to raise the
> > "VRAM" limit from 2 MB to 8 MB.  Perhaps (a) that is needed in this case,
> > or (b) didn't install correctly/fully if that has already been tried.
>
> My understanding was VRPC-SE didn't support more than 2MB, and 8MB screen
> modes were only available only VRPC-AdjustSE, which was very unfair to
> Select subscribers. Aaron said the only way to get 8MB with a softloaded OS
> was to upgraded to VRPC-SA, which I did time last year. I've looked on the
> VA website and there doens't seem to be any upgrades for VRPC-SA which are
> required to get this to work.

Just to muddy the waters a tad, on my Mac VRPC I seem to be able to get
a large VRAM with no trouble and when using RISC OS 4.39.  The screen
mode is 1280x1024 with 16 million colours and with a frame rate of 75Hz.
The 'Screen memory' on the Tasks display is 5120K.  So my guess is that
this config provides 8M of VRAM.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/