[Virtualacorn-list] An Iyonix Replacement?

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 11:07:10 BST 2008

In a message dated 17/10/2008 10:29:40 GMT Daylight Time,  druck at druck.org.uk
writes:

>> The only thing that occurs to me is that earlier versions of  VA-RPC
>> needed an add-on (downloadable from the support website) to  raise the
>> "VRAM" limit from 2 MB to 8 MB.  Perhaps (a) that is  needed in this case,
>> or (b) didn't install correctly/fully if that  has already been tried.

>My understanding was VRPC-SE didn't support  more than 2MB, and 8MB screen
>modes were only available only  VRPC-AdjustSE,

Then I am sorry but your understanding was faulty. All versions of
VirtualRPC support 8Mb of VRAM using the supplied version of
RISC OS.

The early VRPC-SE didn't, but we released a free upgrade on our  website
some years ago to add this feature.

>which was very unfair to
>Select subscribers. Aaron said the only  way to get 8MB with a softloaded OS
>was to upgraded to VRPC-SA, which I  did time last year. I've looked on the
>VA website and there doens't seem  to be any upgrades for VRPC-SA which are
>required to get this to  work.

That is correct - because the only way to get more than 2Mb of screen
memory using a softloaded OS was with the ARM7500 model (which
is part of the SA VirtualRPCs)

Aaron