[Virtualacorn-list] VirtualRPC Speed Comparisons...

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 08:20:40 BST 2008

Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <gemini.k8in4x000xoox04h8.pittdj at pittdj.co.uk>
>           David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:
>
> > > On 10 Oct 2008, David Pitt wrote:
> > [snip]

> > > And that alone would explain the six-fold difference in speed? WOW!
>
> > I suppose it has to, I cannot think of anything else that might be
> > different between our Iyonixes. The only way to prove it is to remove or
> > disable Geminus, there may be a *command for that. When I first
> > installed Geminus here I remember being impressed.
>
> Are you using the same image? The degree of compression in a JPEG file is
> variable, so two files of the same original size could end up with a pixel
> size of 2 to 1. This would go a significant way to explaining such a speed
> difference.

Fair point. I tried a 5MB jpeg and that did load more quickly into
Variations on the Iyonix than the previous example, it was about 70% faster.
The speed advantage of VRPC/Vista was maintained.

I thought I would try something else to probe the relative performance of
the Iyonix against VRPC/Vista(2GHz processor). The 5MB jpeg was converted
into a 36MB sprite with ChangeFSI, the Iyonix took 34s, VRPC/Vista 25s.
Variations on the Iyonix loaded the sprite in about 2s, about twice the time
it took on VRPC/Vista.
--
David Pitt