[Virtualacorn-list] Floating point arithmetic

Michael Ben-Gershon mybg at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 9 22:13:47 BST 2008

ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:
> ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com writes:
>

>> Lack of hardware for floating point arithmetic has been a problem for
>> most RISC OS machines for a long time. So can I ask the following
>> questions?
>>

>> Does VA use the Acorn floating point emulator or  does it use the host
>> machine's fp unit?
>>

> VRPC's use the floating point emulator in RISC OS, rather than the
> floating point unit built into the host machines CPU. We did
> investigate a "soft floating point" podule to provide enhanced FPU
> performance - but there is so little RISC OS software that really
> makes use of floating point - so it wasn't considered worthwhile.

I have a very large Fireworkz sheet collection which makes very heavy use of trigonometrical functions. It takes about 5 minutes to recalculate on my Iyonix (it really is very big - about 60 lines and 40 columns). If I were to run it under VRPC if the Iyonix packed up and I was forced to run it under a fast windows desktop machine, better floating point support would be a major advantage (I currently have one licence for VRPC for my laptop machine).

Michael Ben-Gershon
mybg at netvision.net.il