[Virtualacorn-list] Speed of Iyonix??

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Tue Oct 7 15:20:39 BST 2008

Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:
> With my 2.8Ghz 8-core thingy all I have managed to do are some simple
> tests of loading a 75M sprite into various graphics programs on both
> Iyonix (RAM = 512M) and Mac (RAM = 256M):

Is that RAM in the Mac, or RAM allocated to VRPC?

> Doing the odd transformation on the loaded images then gave a similar

Doing something like a 90 degree rotation, or reduction of a large image to
50% size is a much more useful test than loading or saving.

As for having 8 cores, it isn't going to help very much. Even if VRPC can
take advatange of multiple cores for doing background operations such as
I/O, screen memory conversion and JIT lookaheads in other threads, RISC OS
is a single threaded operating system, so it is always going to be tied to
single threaded performance of the host system. Therefore targetting
development effort at an fully optimising rather than block level JIT would
make more sense.

Cheers
---Dave

Email: druck at druck.org.uk