[Virtualacorn-list] Trouble after last upgrade

Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 12 19:48:17 GMT 2008

In message <2574a90c50.Brian at brian.jordan9.btinternet.com>
          Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <500c748351jochenlueg at btinternet.com>
>           Jochen Lueg <jochenlueg at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> Has anybody else got this problem?
> I have...

> I installed the <hostfs2008> upgrade this morning primarily to fix the
> longstanding date stamp issues. Like you I have discovered that a
> number of files have lost their RISC OS file type information in the
> process (.htm .html .png .jpg .gif at the last count) and have been
> typed as text although here the original file name and extension have
> been retained. This only applies when the files have been viewed in
> filer windows on the RISC OS side, they seem to be untroubled on the
> XP side. What is really wierd is that I have found one directory of 14
> .png files where one of the files has retained its RISC OS file type
> and the reason is that I misnamed it cc4/pmg in error when I created
> the file, from which I surmise that the problem is caused by the file
> naming rather than the RISC OS file typing.

> After I have corrected several hundred files on my local copies of
> half a dozen sites I shall have a poke around to see what the problem
> is.

It is much worse than this! I advise that no-one uses this patch until
it has been fixed. It is impossible to re-type these files (and more
types are coming to light as I work - css for one)

Take file <file/jpg> which has been changed to type "Text" by this
upgrade. In a RISC OS filer window set type to jpeg, nothing happens!
Next remove the filename extension and try again, this time the type
change is accepted and the appropriate icon is displayed - good but
changing the file name back by adding the extension causes the file to
be typed again as text. The net result is that sites I am developing
can be worked on under RISC OS or Windows but not both - great!

Grumpy Brian

Brian Jordan