[Bru-list] Extra February meeting(s)

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 14:00:24 GMT 2020

On 07/02/2020 11:46, Contact (3rdevent.net) via Bru-list wrote:

(I'm looking at these place online now, so I'll include links...)

> Should be able to make 20th, anywhere around that area is fine for me
> it's only a 20-30 minute walk to anything around there.

> Banco Lounge can get busy and tables are a bit packed in there, seat no
> more than 4 people usually, so would probably have to book a table
> layout for more people. Food is consistent and drink is reasonable,
> although only metal keg ale/cider iirc.

It's a long time since I was in there, but now you mention it, yes, ISTR
the tables being more suitable for groups that size.

https://thelounges.co.uk/banco/

> Paintworks (I assume that's what you mean "in between"), is a bit of a
> kids creche during the day, has that hall cacophony problem and I think
> is mainly Pizza foodwise.

Nope - I was thinking of the Thunderbolt on Bath Road, but my mind was
completely blanking. And looking at it on a map now, it's not half way
between, it's actually much closer to the Banco Lounge.

https://www.thethunderbolt.net/

I think you've mentioned before that it's a music venue - which the
website says. It mentions food, but no example menus etc.

But, as I said originally, parking will be a problem - and as I now
realise, it's further than I thought.

> Loddeka is a Hungry Horse, so probably similar thing to the Black Castle.

Ah, it's a 'k'. And in fact it's a single 'd' and double 'k' - Lodekka.
(Having now took a look online. I was so sure it was Loddeca!)

Interesting... I thought Hungry Horse was a different chain to Greene
king (which the Black Castle is) but looking up the Lodekka online, I've
found myself on the Hungry Horse website - which wants to load a bit of
Javascript from the greeneking-pubs.co.uk domain - and looking further,
Hungry Horse is owned by Greene King.

I did not know that.

Anyway... as I said, looking online, and I note: Freebie Thursday - a
free starter or dessert when you order a big plate special. (We're
talking about a Thursday).

Worth also noting, though that there is also "BOGOF Friday" - buy one
get one free on burgers, except burger sizzler combos, and "Super
Saturday" whereby the 'big plate' specials are only £7.50. These might
be worth considering for the show meals. :)

See also "Big Plate Tuesday" (i.e. our normal day) when a selection of
the big plate stuff is only £6. :)

And back to the map, the Lodekka isn't roughly the same distance from
the hotel as the Banco Lounge. It's actually only about half the distance.

https://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/pubs/avon/lodekka/

> No idea about the pub on Sandy Park Road, I assume it's the Cat and Bear
> (from web search), which is said to be a Micro Pub, but I don't think
> they mean BBC Micro :)

The Sandringham.

I can't find a website for it, and looking at other sites it looks a bit
naff, and I can't find any mention of food. (Another Sandringham comes
up when searching, but that one's in Bromley Heath!)

I can't find a Cat and Bear.

[time passes...]

Aha. Found it on Faecesbook - but it looks like it never happened, as
per the last posts from the person setting it up (Dec 16, Jan 17). The
address is (or would have been) 83 Sandy Park Road, which looking at
Google Streetview is a barber's shop.

> There is the Shakespear in Totterdown, I don't think much further than
> Banco. > Food and drink is good in there. But as usual because it's a
> reasonable Pub it's got a catchment area that generally makes it busy in
> the evening.

And, given where it is, parking will be a problem, I should think.

https://www.shakespearetotterdown.co.uk/

A pie and a pint for a tenner on Thursdays, though, apparently. ;)

(We are talking about a Thursday)

> Futher afield there is the Tap rooms on the Breweries off Feeder Road,
> you've got Arbor, Moore's, New Bristol, Wiper and True, god knows what
> else down there.

Unless I've found the wrong thing, that's quite a bit further afield -
the distance from Arnos Manor to the Banco Lounge slighty more than
twice again (i.e. at least three times as far) on North Street near
Ashton Gate - not what I'd call "off Feeder Road" (which I'd say is two
and a half to three miles distant at its nearest end!)

But while I'm actually looking online, a couple of others that jump out:

The Knowle Pub - as the crow flies its a similar distance to the
Lodekka, but by road a bit further (easier to get to from Wells Road) -
so I'm not sure about the implications for anyone using the bus. The
shortest route on foot from the hotel is 0.6 miles, cutting through
Arnos Court Park - so bus users could potentially get off for the hotel
and walk that way. It'll mostly be uphill, though. It has a simple menu,
though possibly a bit pricey.

https://theknowlebristol.com/

The Rhubarb Tavern, Queen Ann Street, Barton Hill. Not a problem for me
in the car, but probably a pain for bus users or those on foot. I can't
find a website for this one other than its Facebook page - which reveals
a blank menu page (but the picture of the outside mentions a chef).

But all said, I'm favouring either the Black Castle, because it has a
great[1] menu or the Lodekka for the same reason.

[1] For the benefit of Chris, who whenever I've said that has commented
that it's "okay, but not great" or similar; I'm using the word great to
refer to size/amount (as in there's a lot of choice on the menu) rather
than to the quality of the fare on offer. :p

--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software   - www.softrock.co.uk
                RISCOSitory          - www.riscository.com