[Bru-list] question on home network wiring

Steven J Green stevegreen at clara.net
Mon Sep 23 17:25:21 BST 2019

Gents

as you know I'm in the process of moving. Our new house seems to have
telephone wall sockets in the rooms in which we might need to use computing
equipment. I can easily get an adapter for Ethernet-to-phone socket and so
could in theory set up wired connections which would be OK for most of our
equipment, using my existing wireless router to provide wifi where needed.

Question - assuming it would work at all, would the use of wiring intended
for telephone use have an adverse effect on internet speeds? The village is
just being connected to fibre, but there wouldn't be any point in having a
fast connection into the house only to have speeds throttled by internal
wiring.

Grateful for your comments!

regards

Steve