[Bru-list] advice sought on setting up 'wiped' hard drive for Lubuntu

Steven Green stevegreen386 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 15:39:19 GMT 2019

 Gents

qUE advised me to start using a browser on Lubuntu for banking etc. as the
end date for Windows 7 approaches. I followed his advice and have
successfully run Lubuntu on my main nettop PC, booting from a USB stick.

I saw an opportunity on eBay to  buy very cheaply another nettop of the
same sort, which I acquired to run Lubuntu in parallel with the
original PC. However, the hard drive has been completely wiped by the
seller (who did say this would be the case). The PC starts to run, but
holding either DELETE or F12 keys does not take me into the BIOS. The USB
stick is not recognised by the machine, I suspect this may be because the
USB port isn't listed in the BIOS as a source of a Boot sequence. So the end
result is that I can't get the new nettop either to recognise a Boot source
or to tell the BIOS where to look.

The seller said something to the effect 'hard drive may require
initialisation', but now I have run off the end of my personal knowledge -
all hard drives I've previously had have already been set up 'just to
work'.

All suggestions welcome!

regards

Steve