[Bru-list] Black Castle age

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 11:18:32 GMT 2018

There was a brief discussion last night about the Black Castle itself -
when it was built etc. Someone suggested 1980s, and when I said it's
older I think someone suggested perhaps the 1960s.

I thought it was older (noting it's a listed building), so I said I'd check.

Here's the answer:

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101292881-black-castle-public-house-brislington-west-ward

1745 to 1755.

Further digging:

It appears it's no coincidence that it's just over the road (ish) from
Arnos Manor Hotel; That was part of Arno's Court. The part of the hotel
that was there at the time was called Mount Pleasant, owned and occupied
by William Reeve - who commissioned the building of the Black Castle.
Its original use was as stables, offices, and "pleasure rooms" (ooer,
missus[1]) and was, effectively, part of the same estate.

(I have too many tabs open work out which ones I've drawn info from and
therefore to cite references. But there you go.)

[1] Note that I may be jumping to a conclusion there. ;)

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk