[Bru-list] Website

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 18:36:38 GMT 2016

It's about time we had a website - so I've just knocked together a very
basic template as an idea of what it could look like.

Well, partially - I've only really done the css for the header and
navigation bar - but for a sneak peak before I do anything else:

 https://www.softrock.co.uk/brutemp/

(It will eventually live at http://bristol.riscosusers.org.uk which
currently just redirects to the mailing list page)

I opted to put a sky/cloud background in the header because the logo we came
up with several years ago is a representation of the Clifton Suspension
Bridge, with cogs/acorns instead of towers. If you look at the real bridge
from (say) the Plimsol Bridge, you see the sky behind it. (Obviously, you
also see the higher ground either side of it - but let's not complicate
things!)

I think that works quite well as a header.

For the nav bar, I've put five pages (or sections) for now - but this is the
sort of thing that needs to be discussed before I proceed. Are those I've
initially put there adequate?

My thinking is:

About the group  - will be the main index.html page, and will obviously need
some more detailed blurb.

Meetings - will be an overview of when we meet, specific dates for the
coming 'n' months, and details of/map to the pub (and the backup)

Mailing list - details of the mailing list, obviously.

Members - I was thinking here we could have a very basic profile text and
small photo of each of the regulars, with a link (or links) to their own
websites (or social media profiles).

About RISC OS - since the group is [mainly] for RISC OS users, it's probably
a good idea to have something explaining what that is, with links to other,
more detailed stuff.

(For the moment, the five pages exist, but they all contain the same very
basic initial text.)

Comments?

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Don't forget to vote in the 2015 RISC OS Awards:
www.riscosawards.co.uk/vote2015.html