[Bru-list] New Raspberry Pi case

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Thu May 29 19:16:50 BST 2014

Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:

> Having no prior experience of CAD, I spent yesterday playing with a bit of
> CAD software, using it to design myself a new case for the Raspberry Pi -
> and I've ordered a 3d-print of it.

After writing that, I discovered my measurements were slightly out. By a
mere 0.6mm - I'd designed it for a Pi that is 85mm long, but it's apparently
85.6mm long.

Later the same day, I had an email from the 3D printing company to say they
couldn't proceed with my order, because I'd included the top and bottom in
the same file; unless attached in some way, they needed to be separate.

I therefore took the opportunity to modify the design, and ordered a print
of the base only, so I could make sure everything fits before ordering a
print of the top - and I paid a little extra to get it done quicker.

It arrived today. :)

And it seems the modification I made wasn't necessary; the Pi appears to fit
without that. Hmm!

There's room for improvement - a minor tweak to the design here and there,
which I'll do for the second print - but for the moment, I'll go with this
one and proceed with getting the top printed up. So it looks like it will
indeed be appearing at our next meeting, and then at the Midlands Show.

The next step is finding a way to get it made up cheaply enough to make
selling it an option (it is designed specifically with RISC OS users in
mind) - but after the Midlands Show, I have a few months before London.

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk

The RISC OS Awards & Survey results: www.riscosawards.co.uk