[Bru-list] Ooh, that's a bit high

Ian Nichols ian.a.nichols at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:25:02 GMT 2014

On 13 March 2014 14:20, Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:

> The subject of Bear Grylls' bridge climb came up last night - so here's a
> YouTube clip of it:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXhDXXMRE0
>
> As I said, you can bet your life that after the first couple of attempts at
> using the chain to hook securely onto something on the bridge and having it
> come down - which adds to the drama - someone up top would then have
> secured
> it for him so he could swing out on it 'safely' and climb over.
>
> (His arm must have hurt like hell after the first attempt and the chain
> dropped.)
>
> From which, I mentioned a cliff walk near Malaga. A quick search reveals
> it's called El Caminito/Camino del Rey, and it was built in the early 20th
> century as a way for workers to get between two hydroelectric plants.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw
>
> The guy who made that video, Daniel Ahnen, lost his life in 2011 - he fell
> on a trek in India.
>
> Ian then mentioned the one in China, with a tea room at the end of it.
> That's Hua Shan:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=765cqXMBHcY

Thanks for reminding me that El Camino del Rey is actually the more
dangerous of the two, on account of its derelict state.  If it were a
house, it would be boarded up to stop kids playing in it.

Ian

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorfer