[Bru-list] New Raspberry Pi case

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 12:52:22 BST 2014

Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 June 2014 19:28, Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:

> > There's a part of me that wants to take some photos and upload them so
> > people can see it *now* - but that would spoil the surprise, so I'll
> > resist the temptation.

> > Roll on July 9th: I think you guys will like this. :)

> Given the conversation topics at the last meeting, I think we've guessed
> the general form of the thing ;)

I thought some (perhaps all) would remember - but wasn't sure. (I considered
saying in the last post to think back to that meeting for an idea of what I
was doing).

But even if you guys remember it, it's still something of a surprise for the
rest of the RISC OS community (which includes everyone reading this list who
didn't attend the meeting) - so for the moment, I'm not 'naming' it. (The
list archives are public facing).

(I do have a specific name for it, of course - which I think is quite
obvious, and I've registered a domain name[1] - but revealing that name
would be revealing too much).

Obviously you'll see it (and hear the name, if you haven't already guessed
it) at the next meeting - but the general RISC OS community won't until the
Midlands Show (for the few that turn up!).

After the show, it'll obviously get a mention in the show report and an
initial web page[1] will appear, with a site to follow later.

> Still looking forward to seeing the result though.  I might have a go at
> something similar with my reprap at some point, but the finish will not be
> nearly as good.

What material does that use? I opted for polyamide, and no colouring - so
it's white and actually has quite a nice texture.

I'm doing some quick calculations now, and I think I *can* have the case on
sale at the London show[2]. Ideally, I'd like to be able to charge around
£35 tops, but that might be too tight - but if I make its 'official' price,
say, £50, then I could make it £40 at shows and that would probably work;
slightly higher than I'd like, but probably bearable.

[1] Had a little trouble with this. I have the .com, but I can't get the
.co.uk (which is what I originally wanted) because my hosting company's
system seems a little b0rked. It even took a few attempts to register the
.com

[2] The Midlands Show isn't a possibility, because there's a delay between
altering the design and receiving the printed result - and I *do* need to
improve the design - so that show will only be the official launch event.
(Which is nice for them, given that it's such a small show).

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk

The RISC OS Awards & Survey results: www.riscosawards.co.uk