[Bru-list] Before 'Ultravox' there was... 'Ultravox!'

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 01:10:04 BST 2014

Before they were Ultravox, with Midge Ure, they were Ultravox! with John
Foxx. (And before that they used the name Tiger Lily.)

A couple of my favourite tracks:

"The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=savx6aY0nEw

"I Want to be a Machine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIc02b1jOo8

Other gems include 'The Wild, the Beautiful and the Damned', "Slow Motion",
"Disclocation" and a few others I can't think of right now.

On the subject of Japan/David Sylvian, their early stuff (ie pre "Ghost" and
the likes of "I Second that Emotion") was great:

"...Rhodesia"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAt2NSjAXY8

"Obscure Alternatives"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amS-BNNsDA4

"Suburban Berlin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0P4NL0_04

And I had the wrong blokes from Japan as the Dolphin Brothers - it wasn't
Mick Karn (who died in 2011, btw - so it was fairly recent), it was Jansen
and Barbieri.

"Host to the Holy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekFh216FJA

"Second Sight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDBHINDIZnc

Jansen - on vocals - is Syvian's brother.

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk

The RISC OS Awards & Survey results: www.riscosawards.co.uk