[Bru-list] Meeting dates 2012

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 19:12:46 GMT 2012

Trevor Johnson <trevor.johnson at laposte.net> wrote:

[...]

> Firstly, thanks so much to everyone for attending during 2011. We may only
> be a small group, but I know that I've looked forward to our meetings and
> found them fun and worthwhile.

Seconded - not least because when Trevor first contacted me about the
possibility of getting a group back together, I had my doubts. Okay, we
remain small (though I noticed the number of mailing list subscribers has
crept up to 20), so the meetings remain small and informal pub meetings -
but I really did have doubts, and I'm pleased to be wrong.

> Hopefully you have too... if not, then please say why! Please feel free to
> attend as frequently or infrequently as is convenient for you.

Indeed.

[...]

Proposed dates:

> Here we go (based on 2nd Wed every other month, but TBC as stated above):

> - 08 Feb

Just in time to take place before my usual February disappearance - so I
know I'm okay for that date. However:

> - 11 Apr
> - 13 Jun

With the Wakefield show being on 28th April, I'm wondering if it might not
be better to have a meeting a couple of weeks after that: It potentially
becomes the topic for the meeting, while it's still fresh in the memories of
those who attended. That said, we can always nab as many flyers as we can at
the show to pass around to the group no matter how long after the show.

> - 08 Aug
> - 10 Oct
> - 12 Dec

A similar thing here: The London Show is 27th October, so that December
suggestion is quite some time after.

Although it's too late for January, I'm wondering if 2nd Wednesday every
*odd* month is better. That would make it:

- 2 days ago (we could always proceed with the 08 Feb to make up for it).
- 14 March
- 09 May (slightly less than two weeks after Wakefield)
- 11 July
- 12 September
- 14 November (just over two weeks after London)

Spanners that might get thrown in the works for those suggested dates,
though, are the dates for the South West Show and the Midlands Show.

Last year, the Midlands Show was 9th July, so if they go for a date that's
close to that, it could easily be either side/within a week of 11th July.

As for the SW Show, I believe Paul only knows and decides on when special
offers are announced by the hotel - and which turned out to be March 5th
last year, but is usually February. That could be okay, but it's still an
unknown. (If it happens at all: I spotted the 2011 date on WAUG's website in
October 2010, and it was confirmed in November.)

[...]

> Is anyone up for a Raspberry Pi bulk order? And if so, do we do it ASAP or
> wait until there's a revised board with mounting holes?

I quite like the AI 'HDMI' board, actually. :)

(Note: Next month it will be two years since I ordered my TouchBook. Still
waiting... ;)

But seriously: I'm not yet sure what my plans are for RPi. I certainly
intend to buy 'one or two' for myself - but whether to do it sooner, rather
than later is the question. TBH, I suspect the first run will be sold out
very fast, so I might have no choice but to make it later. :)

> I need to check when I'm free for HackSpace too, but how about Thu 26 Jan
> as a provisional date, for anyone who's interested?
> http://bristol.hackspace.org.uk/

> I've attempted to contact them previously without success. There may not
> actually be a meeting on that date, so we'll be taking a bit of a chance.

Looking at their twitter feed doesn't help. They seem to only tweet on the
day of a meeting to say what's being brought along.

> Any suggestions on how we should proceed to run things? Continue
> loosely-themed chats or try to be a little more focused on specific
> topic(s) each time?

Generally, I'd say the former - my comments about dates coinciding with the
aftermath of shows notwithstanding.

--
Soft Rock Software:                   http://www.softrock.co.uk
Vince M Hudd:                         http://misc.vinceh.com/about-vinceh/