[Bru-list] Date discussion for first meeting

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 15:58:32 GMT 2010

On 2nd November, 2010, Trevor Johnson <trevor.johnson at laposte.net> wrote:

> If we can establish a date and venue soon-ish then I'm figuring that we
> can get a mention in Archive and maybe a couple of c.s.a.announce posts
> well in advance. This way, we might reach anyone else in the area who's
> not already aware of our existence.

> AIUI the old group used to meet at The Brook Way Community Centre in
> Bradley Stoke (postcode BS32 9DA) on the last Wednesday of the month:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040201031728/http://www.barug.co.uk/

There's one near there, bang on the A38, which I've been in but can't
remember the name of. I think it's part of a cheap food serving chain (or
franchise, more likely) called 'Hungry Horse' - but that's not the name of
the pub itself. And a quick Google later, reveals it to be The Traveller's
Rest. I've been in there once, either late last year or early this year I
vaguely recall (for a cheap date due to the cheap food). That seemed okay.

There's also one on Brook Way itself called, I think, The Bradley Stoke. No
idea what that one's like.

I couldn't say if either of the above have function rooms of any kind.

> Something else worth considering is proximity to the A38 (for buses) and
> either Filton Abbey Wood or Bristol Parkway rail station.

There are bus stops on either side of the A38 one or two hundred yards down
the road from The Traveller's Rest, with an underpass to cross over.

However, another point is whether or not that location is reasonably central
for all those who have joined the list (or not, until we've kicked them into
doing so!) and who might wish to attend.

Perhaps people could reply suggesting where they live, if relevant (eg I'm
happy to travel wherever we agree upon, so it's not for me) and how far they
are willing and able to travel. Just the first part of the postcode should
be adequate.

> How does Wednesday 26 January 2011 sound? Time? 7pm? Local curry house or
> similar (to do in the longer term as ROUGOL do - is this after or before
> their meetings?) preferably offering something palatable to all?

Definitely offering something more palatable. Yeuck! :)

> An early meeting would also allow to possibly line up a couple of themed
> meetings for publicising at the South West show!

> Who's in?

Apparently, nobody, judging from the masses of replies. :p

Come on, people!

--
Vince M Hudd: http://misc.vinceh.com    Soft Rock: http://www.softrock.co.uk

     http://www.riscository.com/2010/risc-os-london-show-2011-announced/