[Bru-list] Status update and plan

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Sat Feb 13 12:09:12 GMT 2010

I thought it would be worth posting a status update and some ideas of what
the next step(s) will (or might) be.

* As of the last time I looked (yesterday morning), there are now 12 people
subscribed to this list.

* The logo we've selected is the last one on the appropriate page on
www.riscository.com - loosely based on the old BARUG logo, it's a
representation of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, with the towers represented
by RISC OS cogwheels - with an acorn in the holes in each of the cogwheels.

The reasoning behind that choice is that it represents both the old (the
acorns) and the new (the cogwheels) and maintains a basic shape and form
that should be familiar to old BARUG members. A similar concept was to use
an acorn on one side, and a cogwheel on the other, but this left the design
unbalanced (the cogwheel, being circular, is wider than an acorn if they're
the same height; it put everything off-centre).

* The flyer is designed and ready. I created something in EasiWriter based
on a Drawfile that Trevor sent to me, and I've sent it to Jim Nagel who is
going to print some and put them on his stand at the South West show, next
week, which I am unable to attend. (Thanks Jim). I haven't got time now, but
for informational purposes, I'll make it available online as a PDF file when
I return next week.

So those three points mark the current status.

The plan beyond this point is, initially, to do nothing more until a week or
so after the show, to give visitors who have (hopefully) picked up flyers
time to subscribe to the mailing list - then look at the numbers.

I'll then post something to the list asking subscribers for a couple of
pieces of information that'll help us to decide if a user group for the area
is viable: roughly whereabouts they are (just broad area), whether they'd be
interested in attending meetings, any preferences they have in that respect
(what day/nights work best for them, and what sort of area they'd like to
see the meetings in) - that kind of thing. (As well, of course, if anyone
would be willing to become more involved in helping with the organisation
and running).

What we'll do then depends on that, really.

--
Vince M Hudd             :::          Soft Rock Software
http://misc.vinceh.com   :::   http://www.softrock.co.uk

Is there any scope for a new Bristol RISC OS user group?
            See: http://www.riscository.com