[AppBasic] DrawScript Filetype Problem

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 16:29:47 GMT 2014

In message <159374ed53.fjgraute at casema.nl>
  Fred Graute <fjgraute at casema.nl> wrote:

> In message <dbd36ded53.D_Lane at lakeview.demon.co.uk>
>           David R Lane <D_Lane at Lakeview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>> I am no expert, but my guess is that some changes from DrawScript to
>> DrawScri need to be made in files in Defaults.Modes.DrawScript, or
>> changes from Drawscri to DrawScript in the !DrawScript application.

> No changes should be required. Like David, I have updated my copy of
> DrawScript mode and it's all working fine.

The problem is that when filetype truncation occurs in the StrongED
save dialogue then the file is saved with a filetype of &000. To get
around that the filetype name does need to be restricted to eight
characters. I have to say that does seem like a bug to me, the
truncation should not affect the save.

As said in another post the filetype name should not be more than
eight characters, something that even after all these years with RISC
OS I never knew. To prove it try entering more than eight characters
in the Filer's 'Set type' writable icon.

DrawScript does also need a little fixing. It all goes to show, do
something a little bit wrong and maybe years later it gets caught out
when someone does something strictly correct.

I hope this helps and is more accurate than another post of mine that
impugned StrongED by alleging the truncation to be a bug.

--
David Pitt