[AppBasic] DrawScript Filetype Problem

David R Lane D_Lane at Lakeview.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 21:52:46 GMT 2014

In message <73d293ed53.pittdj+ at iyonix.home>
          David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <5c078ded53.D_Lane at lakeview.demon.co.uk>
>   David R Lane <D_Lane at Lakeview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <159374ed53.fjgraute at casema.nl>
>>           Fred Graute <fjgraute at casema.nl> wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Apologies David, perhaps David and I were too brief in our explanations
>>> due to being very familiar with StrongED.

>>> Choices are, normally, being saved to !StrED_cfg - the application that
>>> holds StrongED's choices. It's usually located in either Boot:Choices or
>>> in the same directory as StrongED.

>>> An easy to check to see where StrongED saves its choices is to click
>>> Shift-Select on its iconbar icon. This will open !StrED_cfg.UserPrefs
>>> when StrED_cfg is in use, else it will open !StrongED.Defaults.

>>> In the directory opened by the above, go to the DrawScript directory and
>>> delete the Choices file. Then follow the steps I provided earlier.

>> This doesn't produce a Choices file for me in either
>> !StrED_cfg.UserPrefs.Modes or in !StrongED.Defaults.Modes . I deleted
>> the existing Choices file in each, respectively, while StrongED was
>> not running. I have tried the same method with an HTML file with
>> StrongED in HTML mode and no Choices file is saved anywhere.

> I am at a loss to say why that did not work.

> Choices and ColoursStd files are generated here, with StrongED 4.70a4.

> I installed the original !Draw mode in Defaults, renamed the mode to
> Draw then CTRL started StrongED. On saving Mode Choices the old Data
> Choices was overwritten with a new Text type Choices and a ColoursStd
> file was created. If StrongED was started normally, without CTRL,
> Choices and ColoursStd files were created in UserPrefs.

> What version of StrongED is in use?

Version 4.69f6 (1/3/2014) on RISC OS 5.21 (Pandaboard) and version
4.69 (22/9/2013)on RISC OS 5.18 (Iyonix).

I don't see any "Mode Choices" option that you mention. As I
understood it, Fred said to open any file or create a 'newfile' in
StrongEd DrawScript mode (or Draw mode as you have it) and save the
file with filetype &b9b. This doesn't produce any new Choices file
anywhere whether there is an existing one or not. A file created in
that mode now is typed text!
With your choices file and other files for this mode, the File Info
for a DrawScript file shows filetype correctly as &b9b with filetype
name as DrawScri. (This is from the StrongED menu for the window.)
I have not seen the version 4.70a. The website shows V4.69f6 as the
latest. Where do you get it from?

David Lane